Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Let's Get Cracking...

...with those eggs! No, this isn't the first exciting round of "Is it an omelet, is it a glaze, is it a fried egg sandwich?" It is in fact one of the steps in today's "Dish of the Day", but more on that later. I'd like to start by thanking both Ruby and Phin for behaving the past two weeks... I've not lost, misplaced or been unable to find a single thing in the kitchen and in the garden, my tomatoes and broad beans are yielding crops... which makes me hippity-hop-happy!! José was still hunting for the toothpick... I tried tactfully suggesting that he get another one, but actually he claimed it was too soon to replace it. He was prepared to try something new though and is now happily ruminating on a piece of straw. Hey, if it works for him, who am I to argue?

So, it's been a while since I entertained you in the kitchen... hell, it's been a while since I entertained myself in the kitchen, so it was high time and with friends visiting from Germany, the stage was set for something special! I just wasn't sure what or when... and then it happened! We planned a large braai (or bbq for those of you not from SA) and while the men took care of the meat, I was asked to take care of dessert. No problem (insert evil chuckle here)... leave it to me! But what was I going to make? A great question and the answer is one that I think will surprise you as much as it delighted both Miss Twinset and the Other One :-) Brandy Pudding! Also known as Tipsy Tart if you prefer. Considering the usual state of my kitchen companions, I'll give you a moment to consider the implications of selecting that title before I continue... Got it? Done giggling? Good, then let's continue.

This recipe is actually quite simple and really delicious. As with so many of my recipes, this isn't an original. I'm quite capable of inventing a new dish, but with the old favourites, many recipes are similar and it would be difficult to eat the dish and "divine" what the ingredients are... after all, it's not as if I'm an idiot savant when I come to recipes...

(swoooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh. C R A S H).

My apologies for the break in our blog ladies and gentleman. I felt the need to stop and throw a bottle of wine across the room at the Other One. You'll be distressed to hear that it was a really good wine. I was pleased to see that although it didn't score a direct hit, it did hit the wall next to hear and she has just had a free Merlot rinse. All over her recently done hair. And white Valentino Dress (this season)! Why? Well, she had the cheek to chirp that I was only half wrong... drop the 'savant'. Hmph.

Ok, so back to the Dish of the Day... Brandy Pudding :-)

The first thing I should tell you is that this particular recipe claims that it makes enough for 12 - 16 portions. It probably does if you're having dainty, ladylike portions that would be applicable at a nice Southern afternoon tea. However, most people will have a larger portion and we've found that this generally serves around 10 very "unhealthy" sized portions... ideally with custard, ice-cream, cream (or all of the above). It's dessert after all. With booze in it!
Ingredients

- 250 gram dates, stoned and chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup (125 gram) butter
- 1 cup (200 gram) soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (240 gram) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup (100 gram) walnuts or pecan nuts (chopped)

Syrup
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 3/4 cup (190 ml) water
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
-1/2 cup (125 ml) brandy


Method
- Pour the boiling water over the chopped dates in a saucepan or microwave dish.
- Heat to boiling point.
- Remove from heat and mix bicarbonate of soda into mixture. Mix well and leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar, beat egg in to make a smooth mixture.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt over the creamed mixture and fold in.
- Mix in the spices and the nuts, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and date mixture and mix well.
- Ladle into a baking dish. Use a dish with a base that measures approximately 280mm x 280mm.
- Bake at 180°C for 40 - 50 minutes or until the puddings springs back when pressed at the centre.
** Prepare the syrup while the pudding is baking.
- Heat the butter or margarine, sugar and water for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and stir in the brandy, vanilla and salt.
- Pour the warm syrup over the pudding as soon as it is removed from the oven.

Now... if you're an observant bunny (and I know that you all are), you will have noticed that I don't have my full range of photographs. There is a perfectly logical reason for this. The batteries died on my camera. Yes - I'm aware of the fact that I should have had a spare set. However, my spare set of batteries are currently on a permanent relocation to Denmark. You see, they were unfortunate enough to witness something that they shouldn't have and were whisked away in an unmarked black van in the dead of night, never to be seen again. They've been given new identities as lipstick tubes and currently reside in a small, nearly unheard of Danish town... leaving me a set short. You think I jest? Well - you're only half right. You see they really are in Denmark, having been left there accidentally by a travel companion last year (along with his charger and a pair of shoes). It was traumatic and I don't want to talk about it :-) Kidding! Ok, ok, I know that I've had plenty of time to buy new ones, but I just haven't ... yet. I swear, I will do it now as I don't want to get caught short again! In case you were wondering, the picture of the completed pudding is off of my cell phone and is a great example of "here's one I made earlier"... from June! It's how the pudding looked though, so I don't think you'll mind.

I wish you could hear the sniffling and sobbing from the corner of the kitchen. The Other One is of course nearly paralytic about the damage to her Valentino dress, but is slightly mollified by the remarkable fact that she can duck and weave like an extra from the Matrix and not spill a single drop of her martini... really, how does she do that? Miss Twinset is sniffling due to the loss of the wine. She was looking forward to that bottle and it was all I could do to stop her licking the walls!! I poured her a glass of the Buketrabe. She's not really into semi-sweet wines, but at this point, she's not proud, she's desperate and if it has an alcohol content, then she's game to try anything. There was an incident once with a packet of wine gums on a road trip... but that's a story for a different day!

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. you are hilarious, I always enjoy your blog posts, you really should write books you are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, but why did you have to throw a full bottle of Merlot, you should of let her drink it first and then throw the empty bottle at her. Hope you don't have to pay for the dry-cleaning.

    ReplyDelete