Monday, October 17, 2011

Can You Believe It?

Eh herm. *cough*. I'm sorry to interrupt you all, but I'm not sure that you've noticed. Well, you might've done, but those two in the corner are certainly oblivious. Yesterday (Sunday) it was 10 weeks until Christmas morning! No. I'm not kidding. Yes. I'm quite sure!

The Tipsy Tarts have been storing up anything with an alcohol content for months in preparation. That means that somewhere there is a stock of wine, vodka, brandy and sherry (and possibly even paraffin) large enough to blow a side off of my house if one of them drops an armed cigarette holder at the wrong moment. Hopefully it's at The Other One's house. Heaven knows I've hunted everywhere around here and no sign of it, so keep your fingers crossed! I asked them if they knew what the 10 week countdown meant and the nearly incomprehensible slur that I received in reply was that it meant less time to hit the liquor outlet stores. I suppose it's my own fault for asking during Happy Hour (which runs from 9am to pass out on a Sunday in case you were wondering).


Actually, what it means is that you have a list of things to do between now and then!




  • NOW is the time to bake your Christmas Cakes (you'll find the recipe in a previous blog)


  • Take a good look at your Christmas card list and check that you've got addresses for all those that you want to post to.


  • Check with your local post office what the costs are for mailing and what the deadlines are for your overseas cards


  • Decide if you'll be designing your own card or buying cards from a local store. If you are designing / making your own, you'll need to get a move on!


  • Design your email cards and get them ready for sending.


  • Compile a list of everyone that you intend to give a gift to and decide on a budget for each person. Remember that you don't need to give a costly gift to everyone you know and that it's also OK to set a spend limit on gifts among friends!


  • Speak to your family and decide who is hosting which meals during the Festive Season and also decide who is going to cook or clean or supply alcohol.


If I think about my Grans, I realise that both of them lived through the Second World War and that is why both of them used to say that it's about the people you spend the day with and the meaning behind the gifts you give. So... if you don't have a lot of money, don't be afraid to think outside the box. Make a voucher book offering to wash a friends car or cook someone a great meal. Be creative. It's not about the dollar value... it's about the thought you put into it!



Now... I have to love and leave you because there is a suspicious looking trail of glitter in my kitchen that I simply have to sweep up. Seems as if Ruby is really looking forward to the Sparkly Season ahead! Me too :-)



Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Food for thought here, not just Christmas Cake (yum) .... my car would love to get a car wash voucher LOL True gift giving is not about the wallet but about the heart and the time put into thinking about it .... you are so right here!!

    ReplyDelete